Mould is caused by excess moisture. This could be from a variety of causes including: water leaks, excess condensation, rising damp, rain entering a building, flood, standing water, heating and cooling ducts and wet floors/flooring. Mould can occur in most environments, indoors and outdoors and at any time of the year but it will worsen in warm and humid conditions.
Mould is a symptom of excess moisture and poor ventilation and once it has started, it can rapidly escalate and is difficult to deal with effectively. Mould is damaging to health and to property so it is vital that it is dealt with properly at the earliest opportunity. Mould spores are airborne and can enter through any opening in the building including ventilation ducts and heating and cooling systems. Mould spores can attach to clothing, bags and pets and be carried into a building.